A Question of Pride - Michelle Reid 3.5 stars

This was a good read about the growth and development of a relationship. At the beginning of the story, the H is seen as the sophisticated manwhore boss/lover of h, whose infatuation with the H allows her to be taken advantage of and taken for granted.

She then finds out that she's pregnant and feels that she needs to save herself some pain by leaving the relationship and raising the baby on her own because she knows the H doesn't love her. During this time, she finds that the H has been scouting for some strange, which just cements her decision that she has to get out or risk undo hurt.

There is then a scene when the H finds out about the baby and his violent reaction to the news. He offers to marry her but the h outright refuses. The dynamics switch to the h letting the H know just what scum she feels he is and tries to get in her digs as often as she can. There is a fast forward where we find out that the H has remained in her life by way of visits and taking her to dinner but no sex as the h won't have anything to do with him. We also discover that he had been on dates with four other women during this time (which really burnt my grits when I heard that) which perpetuates the h's belief that the H doesn't really love her. On top of that, he repeatedly confesses feeling "fond" of her but never love.

Throughout the book, you're able to see the H as this conceited and arrogant ahole who feels he's god's gift to women. He's always kept women in the periphery and didn't even allow the h to come over to his apartment while they were having an affair. However, if you look real close, you can also see his slow as molasses growth as he gradually alters his life and self-concept to allow himself to love the h as he should.

At the end, the H hells the h that he supposedly discovered his love for the her just after the first date with the OW was discovered (there were three) and was going to make changes in their relationship before she bailed ship. Well, maybe. Why did he go on those dates with the other four women then? Even if the h wouldn't have anything to do with him sexually, she was having his baby and he was supposedly trying to get her to marry him. I'm more inclined to believe that being faced with the reality of fatherhood, his already growing feelings for the h broke through that wall of conceipt and self-importance he insulated himself in and allowed him to fnally care for someone else more than himself. But the change was slow coming. Nonetheless, I was left with the impression that the H truly loved the h at then end and was finally committed to the relationship.

If the idea of watching the slow and realistic progression of a relationship where all was not fair is attractive to you, then this will be a decent read. If you can't buy that people really change, then give it a pass.